Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Considerations

When I started this blog last week, I feared that one of two things might happen:

a) I'd be a perfectionist about it, and never write anything 'cause it just wasn't good enough and no-one would be buggered to read it, or
b) I'd love hearing myself talk so much that I'd go on and on about stuff that's only interesting to me, and no-one would be buggered to read it.

That's why i focus on the trip. I'll make it a priority to post here at least once a week as long as I'm still in the planning stages. After that I'll try to post as often as possible, but honestly, it's anyone's guess what kind of god-forsaken land I'll find myself in. At least with my navigation skills. But by then there'll be pictures!

The state of things:

The Planning:

I don't think it's really hit me yet how big an undertaking this is. After watching the first episode of The Long Way Round with Ewan McGregor et al., I'm stumped by how thorough their planning is! Of course, theirs was a much longer journey than what I'm attempting, and through a much rougher terrain and more diverse cultures. On one hand, it got me worried about how much I have taken upon myself. On the other, it really got me pumped for adventure! On the third(!), I started thinking that this would be a fun thing to do with a mate. I like traveling alone, but it does get a bit lonely sometimes, and I'm sure I'd have a great time with a friend too.

Bike:
I am currently taking my license for the motorbike. I passed my theory exam last Monday (the 18th) and I was on the freeway for the first time this sunday. It took some nerve, but what a rush! The five hour technical course is this saturday, and then I'm only 2 road lessons away from my road exam on September 15th.
I had considered buying a motorbike this autumn for use in Denmark before and after the trip, but I think I'm gonna wait 'til I come home, when I have a better idea of my financial situation.

Equipment:
I am making a list of what I need for the journey. A lot of the stuff I don't own yet (even some basics), and I'm still looking into what I need (like, do I need a tent or will I be staying at hostels? How many tools and spare parts do I need?). This is my list of needs so far:

Rucksack, ca. 60 liters
Daypack
A good digital camera.
Small binoculars
Proper sleeping bag, 3 seasons I reckon
Maybe new shoes
First-aid kit
New diving mask and snorkel



Last week, I made a list of some of the adventures I want to try. Unfortunately, my mum read the blog. "you're not going to dive with sharks are you?!? That's dangerous!". And driving a motorbike up through Australia isn't? Anyway, just for her, I've updated the list:

I'll climb!
I'll rappel!
I'll parachute!
I'll dive!
I'll dig for treasure!
I'll be having an adventure!
With sharks!
Big sharks!
Big, man-eating sharks!
With friggin' lasers on their heads!
I'll be doing it on a fucking motorbike!!!

I'm really looking forward to doing all these things on a motorbike.



PS.: Of course, if you think you can help in any way, even with just a helpful hint, or if you have ideas for the trip, I'll be happy to hear from you!

No comments: